4th -10th June 2018 is child safety week. Savernake Nannies are posting a different "risk" every day during this week.
Monday we posted about the risk of BUTTON BATTERIES..... Most button batteries pass through the body without a problem. But if a button battery, particularly a lithium button battery, gets stuck in the throat or gullet, energy from the battery can react with saliva to make the body create caustic soda. This is the same chemical used to unblock drains!
This can burn a hole through the throat and can lead to serious internal bleeding and death. The reaction can happen in as little as two hours. (www.capt.org.uk)
Tuesday we posted about the risk of CHOKING..... There are many items that babies and young children can choke on : grapes, peanuts, popcorn, marshmallows, a piece of sausage, coins, buttons the list is endless. Be aware of what is around the home and keep all small objects out of reach of babies and small children.
Wednesday we posted about DROWNING …… Children can drown in as little as 5cm of water.
For young children, there is a real risk of drowning in the home or garden, including neighbours’ gardens. As they get older, the risks are associated more with children exploring and challenging themselves around water. As children grow in confidence they can over-estimate their abilities.(www.capt.org.uk)
Today we posted about STRANGULATION....Keep dangling cords and looped objects out of reach so small children can’t grab or play with the strings. These objects can include drawstring bags, ribbons, and cords.
Tie blind cords up well out of young children’s reach, for example round a cleat hook. Bear in mind that, as children develop, they can climb on furniture and other objects, and might reach higher than you think.
Move cots, beds, highchairs and playpens away from looped blind cords and chains. If there’s space, try to move other furniture away from blind cords too, as young children love to climb.(www.capt.org.uk)
Follow our facebook page for 3 more posts about safety.